- Make/Work on New Year’s Resolutions/Goals (I’m probably not going to cross this one off just because it really is ongoing and ever changing. I don’t really believe in setting one or two long term goals without breaking them into manageable chunks and reflecting/editing when needed.
- Take Christmas stuff down. (See how I did that here.)
- Return or exchange any needed holiday gifts
- Write or make any necessary Thank you’s.
- Organize holiday cards. (See the holiday card place mats I made here.)
- Organize Photos. (I’m still working on creating our yearly photo books but I’m almost done. See my posts about organizing photos here, here, and here.)
- Find homes for new gifts. This one is still a work in progress. I had a plan as to where they would all go but as we all know, plans don’t always work when put into action. Stay tuned next month as I tackle some new projects in the play room again to accommodate my kiddos new interests and “stuff”
- Make annual doctor and vet appointments.
- Sign the girls up for gymnastics.
- Register Tessa for Kindergarten. (Happening this week.)
- Organize/de-clutter storage area. (This is also ongoing and something I am hoping to reallytackle this spring–fingers crossed.)
- Create/Edit a Home Management Binder /Command Center
Which brings me to today’s post:
Creating a Home Management Binder.
These are the categories that I plan to create/add to our binder:
Planning Ahead–This includes yearly, monthly, daily goals; to-do lists; weekly menu/meal planning, etc. (I’m sure I’ll add more as I get into it.)
School–This is a section for my kiddos’ school info that I need to keep for any period of time.
Reference–This includes emergency info; other contacts; babysitter info; pet sitting info; home maintenance, etc. (Again, I’m sure the list will grow.)
Good Times–This will include holiday/birthday preparations; other celebration planning; Special memory/tradition log; vacation planning, list of special dates and occasions, etc.
I think that is it –although it will possibly change as I get deeper into it.
***There are a few other categories too that I either have already or plan to devote an entire binder to rather than just a section in the Home Management Binder. I will definitely discuss these at a later date. They include:
Medical–this is for all of our medical info, receipts, etc. from doctor or hospital visits as well as birth certificates, social security cards, etc.
Home Improvement–this is for the ever evolving projects that are consistently going on in our home.
Recipes–this is to house any recipes I find either online, magazines, family recipes passed down or just ones that I jot down.
Blog–this is for organizing my thoughts when planning and writing blog posts each day.
Product/Warranty Info–This one is a maybe for me. As of right now they are in a file box. However, I’m always looking for ways to make this one simpler. A binder might be a possibility.
Some other great ideas but have other places/systems for are:
Today’s task: Getting the materials.
The other little goodies I chose were:
clear page protectors
I also found some clear page protectors with tabs at Staples that I thought would be great to help divide my categories.
So that’s it for today. Remember–manageable chunks. Getting organized is a lot like losing weight: it’s about small changes that we can achieve and maintain.
Can’t wait to continue. Stay tuned!